The Bayelsa State government has released new directives for drivers across the State. According to the new directive which was released during a press briefing by the Bayelsa State Ministry of Transport earlier today, drivers of small vehicles are to carry only one passenger at the front seat with two at the back seat. Meanwhile, Keke riders are to carry only two at the back with no passenger at the front.
The bulletin read In full thus:
The government of Bayelsa State is aware of the threat of the spread of COVID-19. Even though we are yet to record any case of COVID-19 in Bayelsa state, Government is taking proactive measures to protect Bayelsans.
Consequently, the following directives are now being issued to the Transport Sector:
1. All persons coughing or sneezing or showing any sign of respiratory infection should not be allowed into any commercial vehicle/boat.
2. Any commercial vehicle/boat should have properly covered refuse collection bins.
3. All vehicles shall carry a maximum of the driver and one (1) passenger in front and two (2) passengers per seat.
4. All Kekes shall carry a maximum of two (2) passengers at a time. Only the rider is allowed in the front.
5. All speed boats shall carry a maximum of two (2) passengers per seat.
6. All transport operators/companies are expected to have at their entrances, hand washing equipment with soap and running water.
7. All operators shall have alcohol-based sanitizers in their vehicles for use of drivers, conductor and passengers.
8. All taxes and buses should keep and restock their vehicles with wipes, tissues or other disposable items for use by passengers to wipe down doors and other handles.
9. None essential travels is hereby strongly discouraged. Use of electronic devices for communication should be preferred to journeys.
These directives shall be supervised, coordinated and enforced by the VIO of Ministry of Transport, NURTW, TOAN, RTEAN officials and other law enforcement agents. Members of the public and the transport operators are enjoined to give the state government their fullest support.
In case of non-compliance of these directives by drivers, conductors and passengers, members of the public should call 08184466666
Arc Ere Efeke fnia, ACarb(Nig)
A call placed across to the number made available to test the responsiveness of the contact and to confirm the information yielded as results as the permanent secretary picked and responded that the information is authentic and that it was released today.